BROOMFIELD, COLORADO - A man working on the Omni Gold Golf Course and the Camden Apartments was severely injured Monday morning by a lawn mower.
North Metro Fire and paramedics arrived at the course near the 6th hole just before 10 a.m. and found a man who had been run over by a riding lawn mower.
Officials say the man was on the riding lawn mower when he went down a steep embankment and fell off his seat. The mower then ran over him with the blade still cutting.
Before paramedics arrived, employees and nearby golfers helped the man at the scene. Pieces of flesh were spread over 10 yards and his left hand was recovered from a nearby tree. The man was then taken by AirLife to Denver Health Medical Center to be treated.
Details about his current condition and identity were not immediately released.
The North Metro Fire Rescue has issued the following safety reminders about lawn mowing.
*Put on close fitting clothes and sturdy, non-slip shoes.
*If the lawn is wet---wait!
*Always mow in sufficient daylight.
*Go over the lawn carefully to pick up stones, wire, toys, dog bones-anything the mower blade might pick up and throw. Debris can be hurled out a discharge chute at over 200 mph.
*Keep people, pets and other obstacles out of the yard.
*If your electric mower isn't labeled "double insulated," never plug it into anything but a grounded (3-prong) outlet.
*Adjust cutting height before starting the mower. Disconnect the spark plug wire first before making any adjustments or repairs.
While You Mow:
*Never run mower over gravel, stones or hard immovable objects like pipes, rocks or sidewalk edges.
*Mow advancing forward whenever possible so that you can see where you're going.
*Keep electric mower cords out of the cutting path.
*Stay clear of the blade housing and the discharge chute.
*Never point discharge chute at others.
*Turn off the mower before you leave it-even for a moment.
*Always stay clear of a hot engine. Mufflers can reach up to 1,200 degrees
Click to view image: '74151-070418092203_041807ambulance.jpg'
|Liveleak on Facebook|