GREENSBORO, N.C. -- A Triad man who was trying to rid his home of yellow jackets is now looking for a new place to live, WXII-TV in Piedmont reported. Authorities said Hugh Williams first sprayed insecticide in a hole next to the house, but that didn't kill the bugs. He then stuck paper in the hole and lit it, but the fire spread into the house and the attic, authorities said. The home was draped Monday with a blue tarp, and the chimney was bruised with fire soot.
"We certainly do not advocate the burning out of these insects, although it may work," said assistant Greensboro Fire Chief David Douglas. The family is safe, and no injuries were reported, but about $80,000 worth of damage was done to the home. Fire officials said the house has been condemned until repairs can be made. Williams did not want to be interviewed, the television station reported.
Perhaps a Darwin award is in order?
|Liveleak on Facebook|