Safe Mode: On
Nato apologises for killing nine Afghan civilians

2 March 2011 Last updated at 09:51 ET

Nato has apologised for killing nine civilians in an air strike in Afghanistan's north-eastern region.

Top Nato commander Gen David Petraeus said he was "deeply sorry" for the incident, which took place in the Pech district of Kunar province on Tuesday.

Local officials say nine boys, aged 12 and under, were killed while gathering firewood, according to AP news agency.

Earlier on Wednesday, Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai condemned the killings as "merciless".

Mr Karzai warned that foreign forces would encounter "huge problems" if the "daily killing of innocent civilians" did not stop.

'Personally apologise'
Gen Petraeus said Tuesday's fatalities had occurred due to a miscommunication error about the location of militants.

"We are deeply sorry for this tragedy and apologise to the members of the Afghan government, the people o

-

Added: Mar-2-2011 Occurred On: Mar-2-2011
By: gregory_peckory
In:
Afghanistan, Middle East
Tags: nato, afghanistan, isaf, civilian deaths, apology
Views: 7694 | Comments: 21 | Votes: 0 | Favorites: 0 | Shared: 0 | Updates: 0 | Times used in channels: 1
You need to be registered in order to add comments! Register HERE