Gary Hughes | April 15, 2008
THE 2005 AFL grand final was to be the target of a terrorist attack by a home-grown Muslim terrorist cell, a court has been told today.
When that attack had to be called off, the alternative targets chosen by the group were Melbourne's Crown Casino during grand prix week or the NAB Cup in 2006.
Izzydeen Atik told the Victorian Supreme Court that the alleged leader of the Melbourne terror cell Abdul Nacer Benbrika told him the original attack on the 2005 grand final had to be postponed because of a series of ASIO and police raids on members of the group in July that year.
Money being raised to finance the terrorist attack had been seized during the raids, Mr Atik said.
Mr Atik told the court that he had committed a series of credit card frauds on behalf of the group, including purchasing airline tickets.
Mr Benbrika and 11 others have pleaded not guilty to a series of terrorism charges, including being members of a terrorist group.
The trial is continuing.
Click to view image: '173077-Shake.jpg'
|Liveleak on Facebook|