Safe Mode: On
The Beni Suef Cultural Palace's Fire Accident - Egypt

05 September 2007 - "The Beni Suef Cultural Palace caught fire during a 5 Sept. performance at the 15th Amateur Theatre Festival.

The cause: candles that were used all over a set made of colored paper and wood. The main door of the cultural center was locked and audience members and actors were trapped inside as the ensuing inferno blazed, killing at least 40 people and injuring many others.

The incident gave way to a fierce campaign directed at Egypt's Ministry of Culture, which was accused of negligence.

Only one exit was available as the audience stampeded in panic.

The fire was believed to have begun when an actor knocked over a candle, igniting a paper-filled set during a production at the government-run Culture Palace in Beni Suef, about 60 miles south of Cairo."

Loading the player ...
Embed CodeSwitch Player
Plays: 8868 (Embed: 0)

Added: Sep-23-2007 
By: SGT_USMC
In:
News
Tags: Egypt, Beni Suef, Cultural, Palace, Fire
Views: 10777 | Comments: 7 | Votes: 3 | Favorites: 4 | Shared: 4 | Updates: 0 | Times used in channels: 1
You need to be registered in order to add comments! Register HERE