By clicking on CONTINUE you confirm that you are 18 years and over.
Note: to turn off these warnings you need to set the 'safe mode' to OFF (on the top right)
Six Italians among 23 killed in Dominican bus crash Fri Aug 15, 3:02 PM ET
SANTO DOMINGO (AFP) - At least 23 people, including several Italian tourists, were killed Friday when two passenger buses crashed with a pickup truck in the Dominican Republic, officials said.
"So far we have counted 23 dead," emergency services coordinator Juan Manuel Mendez Garcia told AFP. "Of them, at least six are foreigners."
The Italian foreign ministry in Rome said a "provisional" count showed that six Italian tourists were among those who died in the crash near the La Romana resort area, ANSA news agency said.
"There are many injured and we are still removing bodies from the scene," said Pedro Morillo, governor of the country's easternmost La Altagracia province, where the accident occurred.
Hotels in the area are filled with international travelers at this time of year, according to Morillo.
The three vehicle crash, 150 kilometers (93 miles) east of the capital, happened when a bus carrying 23 foreign tourists, 19 of them Italians, collided with a bus carrying around 50 Dominicans, ANSA said.
According to local reports, a pickup truck tried to pass one bus near a crest in the road, then collided head-on with another bus coming from the opposite direction.
Witnesses described a crash scene strewn with mutilated bodies. Several victims remained trapped in the wreckage, while the wounded were transported to hospitals in neighboring cities