Safe Mode: On
Man hitting punching bag strikes gas meter, forces evacuation

By Tiffany Y. Latta, Staff Writer
Updated 5:02 PM Wednesday, July 28, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — A man hitting a punching bag accidentally knocked the gas meter off his wall, causing a natural gas leak that forced residents out of their homes for about two hours.
Middletown fire crews responded to 1008 Jackson St. about 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 27, and immediately evacuated residents on Jackson and Midway streets.

“This was an extremely dangerous situation because this house could have easily blown up and at least three or four houses nearby could have suffered significant damage,” Deputy Fire Chief Tom Snively said.

Snively said gas spewed from the home for about an hour before Duke Energy crews were able to dig underground and shut it off.

One of two men inside the home where the gas leak began, who was not identified, was transported to Atrium Medical Center after suffering fro

-

Added: Jul-29-2010 Occurred On: Jul-28-2010
By: gregory_peckory
In:
News
Tags: punching bag, gas meter, evacuation,
Views: 8349 | Comments: 2 | Votes: 0 | Favorites: 0 | Shared: 0 | Updates: 0 | Times used in channels: 1
You need to be registered in order to add comments! Register HERE