(CNN) -- At least four people have been killed and 52 injured -- six critically -- after a car bomb exploded in the Turkish city of Diyarbakir Thursday, prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said.
In a nationally televised address broadcast from Ankara, Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan blamed terrorists for the blast, but offered no evidence.
Some local media sources later put the number of dead as high as five, with 68 wounded, including 30 troops, The Associated Press reported.
Security officials told CNN Turk that a car bomb was detonated by remote control during a military convoy's passage through a busy section of the city center.
At least one soldier was among those wounded in the explosion, which occurred about 4:55 p.m. (9:55 a.m. ET), damaging nearby buildings and incinerating at least six vehicles, most of them parked cars.
Television pictures have shown a large ball of flames billowing out from the shell of the bus with other vehicles nearby also alight.
The explosion site includes a shopping mall, a luxury hotel, a military post and military housing.
Journalist Begum Donmez told CNN it was not yet known who was responsible for the blast, and that security forces had cleared the area in case of a second attack.
She said no information had been released about the exact type of bomb used in the attack.
"A bomb left in a car ... was set off with a remote control. It was a very strong one. It was targeting a military service bus," Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu said in comments reported by The Associated Press.
|Liveleak on Facebook|