Safe Mode: On
Man tased & shot after police chase and stabbing police dog over $2 toy

TUKWILA, Wash. -- What began as an argument over a $2 toy between a customer and store employees ended with a man shot and a police dog stabbed on Monday night.

Investigators said trouble began when a man got into a scuffle with employees at the Tukwila Trading Company over the toy around 8 p.m.

When officers arrived at the store at 3725 South 144th Street, the man ran off, jumping over several fences to get away.

Police finally caught up with the man at a nearby housing complex. Witnesses say officers then opened fire.

"They Tased him and he went down," said witness Rocky Ruvo. "And then they let the dog go on him. And then somebody said - I didn't see a knife - but somebody said he had pulled a knife and slashed at the dog. And while he was down, that's when the officer pulled his gun and shot the subject twice."

Police said when the man refused to stop being violent, an officer shot him in the leg.

"Other officers were very close by and tried other means to try to subdue the man," said Tukwila police spokesman Mike Murphy. "They were unsuccessful and eventually had to shoot him to stop the threat to themselves and others."

The police dog, a German shepherd named Gino, was stabbed in the neck during the scuffle and seriously injured, officials said.

Investigators don't know why the man ran from them, but insist he was a threat. A friend of the suspect could not explain why the man ran either.

"He ran. OK, he did," said Mimi Teketse. "They told him to stop. He didn't stop."

Teketse says she and the man who was shot were planning to make tacos for dinner before the fight erupted at the supermarket.

"We all make mistakes. It was $1.99 balls. I said I was going to pay for it. There was no reason for him to be shot at all," she said.

The shot man, as well as the stabbed dog, were taken into surgery on Monday night. The man's condition is not known.

Dr. Paul Schauvin with Five Corners Animal Hosptial in Burien said early Tuesday that the police dog was in stable condition.

He said the dog's surgery lasted about four hours and vets needed to repair a 4-inch puncture wound in his neck.

Gino is expected to make a full recovery, Schauvin said.

Loading the player ...
Embed CodeSwitch Player
Plays: 8418 (Embed: 0)

Added: Jun-16-2009 Occurred On: Jun-16-2009
By: komakazzi
Tags: man runs, tasered, shot, stabbed, police, dog, 2 dollar, rubber ball, toy
Location: Tukwila, Washington, United States (load item map)
Views: 13594 | Comments: 70 | Votes: 0 | Favorites: 0 | Shared: 0 | Updates: 0 | Times used in channels: 1
You need to be registered in order to add comments! Register HERE