The BM-30 Smerch (Tornado) or 9K58 is a Russian multiple rocket launcher. The system is designed to defeat manpower, armored and soft-skinned materiel in concentration areas, artillery batteries, command posts and ammunition depots. It was created in 1986 and entered service in the Soviet Army in 1989.
* rockets (in containers);
* 9A52-2 modernized launch vehicle;
* automated fire control equipment;
* set of arsenal equipment;
* training facilities.
The 300mm rockets with a firing range of 70 and 90 km and various warheads have been developed for the Smerch MLRS.
The 9A52-2 vehicle with the automated system ensures:
* delivery of fire from an unsurveyed fire position;
* laying of the launch tube cluster with the crew staying in the cabin and without using aiming points;
* autonomous determination of an azimuth of the launch tube cluster’s longitudinal axis;
* visual representation of graphical information for the launch tube cluster laying, the route of vehicle movement and location as well as a point of destination and direction of movement on the video terminal;
* increase in MLRS survivability owing to reduced time of staying at a fire position;
* increased comfort for the laying operator, especially in adverse weather conditions and at night;
* increased independent operation owing to the navigation and survey equipment, which allows the vehicle to rapidly change fire positions and move autonomously;
* reduction of the combat crew.
* Chassis: MAZ-543M
* Combat Weight: 43.7 t
* Length: 12 m
* Height: 3.05 m
* Width: 3.05 m
* Crew: 3 men
* Emplacement Time: 3 min
* Displacement Time: 2 min
* Launcher: 9A52-2, 300-mm, 12 tubes
* Launch Rate
Salvo Time: 12 rounds in 38 seconds
* Reload Time: 20 min
|Liveleak on Facebook|