Assault charges were dropped Wednesday against a Bronx man who says
cell phone video shows he was the one being roughed up by city police
officers during an arrest last month.
Jateik Reed, 19, went before a judge at the Bronx County criminal courthouse.
He’s still charged with robbery and will be back in court on April 27.
Back in January, a cellphone video captured Reed’s arrest.
The officers involved have been stripped of their badges pending the outcome of an internal investigation.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly called the video “disturbing.”
“Just thankful that we beat this first case, I hope the other cases
go as good as this one do. Thank you everybody for your support I
appreciated it,” Reed told reporters outside the court.
“He was simply in a situation where he was completely vulnerable and
he was trying to protect himself as best he could,” said Reed’s defense
Reed’s lawyer says they intend to file a civil lawsuit against the New York City Police Department and city in the near future.
|Liveleak on Facebook|