DESPITE being shot twice during an ambush in Afghanistan, an SAS soldier lashed himself to the front of his patrol vehicle so he wouldn't be left behind if he passed out from loss of blood and kept on fighting.
The Digger is expected to be recommended for a high-level bravery award.
Suffering from serious upper-body wounds, the soldier struggled on to the front of his SAS long range patrol vehicle and, under heavy fire, used a rope to attach himself firmly between the vehicle's bull bar and radiator.
Once he was secured, and there was no chance he would fall off if he fainted, he picked up his DM-4 assault rifle and resumed firing at the enemy during a two-hour fighting withdrawal.
Special Air Service troops and their comrades from the Commando Regiment are well aware of the slow and painful death that awaits those captured by the Taliban.
The Digger, who cannot be identified, faded in and out of consciousness, emptying several magazines as volleys of enemy rounds from high-powered AK-47 assault rifles and rocket- propelled grenades rained down around him.
He was finally evacuated from the battlefield at high speed still lashed to the front of the LRPV.
While the Diggers fought for survival, bureaucrats in Canberra docked the pay of more than 100 SAS men, including many serving in Afghanistan.
Several troops had been told they had debts of $30,000 for allowances that shouldn't have been paid and were being forced to repay the funds.
The issue was resolved yesterday when army chief Lieutenant-General Ken Gillespie admitted it was a fault with the auto pay system, adding it would be fixed immediately.
A source told The Courier-Mail the Digger was now "up and about" and would recover fully from his serious gunshot wounds. His heroic deeds will be recognised when he is recommended for a high-level bravery award.
Several others engaged in the do-or-die battle on September 2 are also in line for top honours.
Meanwhile, Australia has made an "honour payment" to the family of a slain Afghan leader to make amends with the residents of the Chora district.
The army believes Australian soldiers may have shot Rozi Khan on September 18 but there has been no official finding.
|Liveleak on Facebook|