KABUL : An air strike by international forces in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday killed two Afghan soldiers and wounded several others, the Afghan Ministry of Defence said on Wednesday.
The Ministry condemned the incident, which it said left two Afghan soldiers killed and five others injured, and said a joint delegation had been established to investigation the cause.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said it was aware of the claims. "We have an assessment team in that area today looking into these allegations," a spokesperson said, promising to provide more information when the team returns.
ISAF said the incident happened in the Charkh district of Logar province, in the country's east. "Initial reporting indicates it was a troops in contact situation," the spokesperson said.
A troops in contact (TIC) situation is military jargon for unplanned 'opportunity' strikes in support of ground troops who have made contact with enemy forces.
On Sunday, 23-year-old British Private John Howard was killed after an incident in southern Afghanistan's Helmand Province. Initial reports indicate that the service member died when a U.S. aircraft was targeting an insurgent position in the area.
Click to view image: '7582a213f8f9-afghan_border_police_near_combat_outpost_margah.jpg'
|Liveleak on Facebook|