Safe Mode: On
Kidnapping Victim Found After 18 Years, Police Say Man; A Registered Sex Offender, and Woman Arrested

PLACERVILLE, Calif. -- Jaycee Lee Dugard has been found in good health 18 years after her kidnapping and two people have been arrested in connection with the abduction, authorities said.

Dugard, who turned 29 Thursday, was kidnapped from the El Dorado County community of Meyers on the morning of June 10, 1991, when she was just 11 years old.

"We're 99 percent sure it's her," sheriff's Lt. Les Lovel

Police arrested Phillip Craig Garrido, 58, and Nancy Garrido, 55, who live at a home on Walnut Avenue in an unincorporated pocket of Antioch. The Garridos were booked into Contra Costa County jail in Martinez late Wednesday night, according to jail records.

Phillip Garrido was booked on charges including kidnapping, conspiracy, rape and committing lewd acts with a minor, according to the records. Nancy Garrido is accused of kidnapping and conspiracy. Both are being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Law enforcement sources said authorities were also searching a home in Antioch.

Dugard apparently walked into a Bay Area police department recently and authorities eventually learned that she had been kidnapped years before. A DNA test is being conducted to confirm her identity.

Dugard's stepfather Carl Probyn, who now lives in Southern California, said Thursday that Dugard's mother, Terry Probyn, called him Wednesday afternoon and told him the FBI had contacted her to say they may have found her daughter.

"I'm running around the house like I've had six cups of coffee," Probyn said Thursday morning.

Dugard's relatives were expected to meet with her Thursday in the Bay Area.

At the time of abduction, Dugard's family reported that a vehicle occupied by two people drove up to the girl and abducted her in view of her stepfather.

The girl was seen walking to a bus stop. As she walked, a gray, two-tone, late-model sedan was seen making a U-turn on the street.

The car approached the child and a woman described as about 30 years old with long, dark hair pulled her inside, according to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. A man was also seen in the car.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's Department was expected to hold a news conference at 3 p.m. Thursday to talk about the case.

"Due to an ongoing criminal investigation, no information will be released until that time," sheriff's Sgt. James Byers said in a news release.

(The Sacremento Bee);Sex offender's neighborhood searched for clues to girl's 1991 abduction

By Bill Lindelof and Kim Minugh
Published: Thursday, Aug. 27, 2009 - 11:29 am
Last Modified: Thursday, Aug. 27, 2009 - 11:49 am

Police and the FBI were searching the Antioch neighborhood of a 58-year-old convicted rapist and registered sex offender this morning, apparently in connection with the 1991 abduction of 11-year-old Jaycee Lee Dugard, who surfaced alive in the Bay Area on Wednesday after disappearing for 18 years.

Authorities were swarming the neighborhood on Walnut Avenue in Antioch where Phillip Craig Garrido, a 6-foot, 4-inch, 196-pound registered sex offender lives. Garrido is listed on the state's Megan's Law sex offender Web site as being convicted of rape.

The search came amid reports out of the Bay Area that authorities had detained two people in Martinez in connection with the Dugard abduction.

The El Dorado County Sheriff's Office this morning confirmed the identity of the 29-year-old woman who walked into a Bay Area police station claiming to be Dugard.

Further, in an extraordinary sequence of events today, federal and local law agencies renewed their focus on the 18-year-old mystery of what happened to the blond, blue-eyed girl who was abducted while walking to school June 10, 1991.

El Dorado County sheriff's officials were preparing to release details on the case at a 3 p.m. press conference, but the girl's stepfather confirmed to The Bee early today that Jaycee had resurfaced and was being reunited with her mother today.

Carl Probyn, Jaycee's stepfather, said his wife and daughter were flying to Northern California to meet Dugard and that his wife, Terry, spoke with the young woman by phone Wednesday night.

The Probyns, who are separated, live in Southern California, Carl in Orange County and Terry in Riverside. Terry Probyn and their daughter, Shayna, 19, boarded a 6 a.m. flight to the Bay Area to meet with Dugard, Carl Probyn said.

Probyn said he is elated.

"I'm just pleased that she is alive and well," said Probyn, a 60-year-old Orange County wallpaper contractor.

Probyn, who has yet to speak with his stepdaughter, said he believes suspects who might have been involved with the abduction are in custody.

Dugard's disappearance prompted a massive search, nationwide publicity and one of the largest police investigations in the region.

Dugard was on her way to school when authorities said she was pulled into a stranger's car just a block away from her South Lake Tahoe home.

Probyn said he heard her scream and saw a man and a woman drive his stepdaughter away in a gray two-tone sedan.

Despite several false sightings, Dugard was never seen again.

One person in the car was described as a 30-year-old woman with long, dark hair. Jaycee was last seen dressed in a pink windbreaker, white T-shirt and pink stretch pants.

The stepfather said Shayna Probyn called Wednesday about 4 p.m. and said, "Mom has something to say to you. Are you sitting down?"

His wife told him: "They found Jaycee. She is alive."

The couple then cried for about 10 minutes as they spoke to each other. Probyn said agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation called his wife at work and told her that they had Jaycee. Thinking it was a joke, she told the caller she did not appreciate what she thought was a ruse.

The FBI then put the young woman on the telephone.

"My wife said that who she spoke to remembers everything," Carl Probyn said. "My wife and Jaycee were joined at the hip."

He said he followed media accounts of a young woman walking into an Antioch police station and then was taken to the Concord Police station.

Probyn was the last person to see Jaycee on the day she disappeared. He took four lie detector tests and endured suspicion of involvement in the abduction for nearly two decades.

"The FBI put me through the wringer, being questioned and having people say the stepdad did something," he said. "I have been kind of the villain these past 18 years."

Probyn said he has always had a spotless record.

"I'm an Vietnam vet and have never spent a day in my life in jail," he said. "My last speeding ticket was in 1977."

Probyn said he eventually lost hope that they would ever see his stepdaughter alive.

"Then you pray that you get her body back so there is an ending," he said. "To have this happen where we get her back alive, and where she remembers things from the past, and to have people in custody is a triple win. It's like winning the Lotto."

Terry Probyn took a 6 a.m. flight to meet her daughter somewhere in Northern California. Carl Probyn said he wants his wife and their daughter, Shayna, to have time with Jaycee before he meets her again.

"It's a shock for Shayna to meet the half-sister she never knew," he said.

Probyn said that about three weeks ago, Shayna told him that two sheriff's deputies, presumably from El Dorado County, who work on cold cases, had visited his wife. It was his understanding that they were going to re-open Jaycee's case.

"To have this happen, where she walks into a police station, is really a miracle to get her back," said Probyn. "And she sounds like she is doing okay. I don't know if she is married. I don't know if a cult took her, or if a couple who didn't have kids took her. I'll find out today all these answers."

Bee researcher Pete Basofin contributed to this report.

Loading the player ...
Embed CodeSwitch Player
Plays: 9456 (Embed: 0)

Added: Aug-27-2009 Occurred On: Aug-27-2009
By: bellava
Tags: Kidnapping Victim Found After 18 Years, Police Say Sex Offender Man, Woman Arrested
Views: 14364 | Comments: 12 | Votes: 0 | Favorites: 0 | Shared: 1 | Updates: 1 | Times used in channels: 1
You need to be registered in order to add comments! Register HERE
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first | Highest score first
Liveleak opposes racial slurs - if you do spot comments that fall into this category, please report them for us to review.
  • So she was totally down with the kidnapping until she turned 29?

    Only fucked up horrible things could have happened to her when she was taken... at 11. She must have been heavily abused 24/7 for the first couple years, why wouldn't she make an effort to get help... in 18 years?

    You can only imagine what happened to make her not try? Or the circumstances to persuade her complacency?

    Seriously... what the fuck?

    Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

    (3) | Report

    • The psyche is a fragile thing, especially for a child.

      A manipulative person can re-shape a child's perceptions and the child grows up believing a lie instead of the truth.

      The sad thing is, a lot of people don't understand that and become unsympathetic if they believe the victim had ample opportunity to escape.

      They have to understand, there's a great deal of brainwashing that goes into it.

      Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

      (0) | Report

  • Here is the abductor Phillip Garrido's blog

    Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

    (1) | Report

    • thanks , I just saw that there was one

      also a cop recognised her, she didn't come into the police station to get help. She was there with her abductor on an unrelated matter and the cop was suspicious and ran him.... found out he was a sex offender.

      Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

      (0) | Report

  • Brainwashed no doubt in the early years of capture. Hope for the best for the young woman with the chance to live the rest of her life without alot of mental anguish. God bless her.

    Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

    (1) | Report

  • good stuff.just hope its the right girl,looks like it is

    Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

    (0) | Report

  • great to see that news programs can actually report good news, they need to do more of it

    Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

    (0) | Report

  • Fantastic news!

    18 I whine when I don't see my daughter for a DAY!...Must have been horrible to go through all that for so long. Can you imagine that first contact from the police?...Jeeeez.

    What a gift.

    Can't wait to hear more.

    Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

    (0) | Report

  • Poor women. She was probably raped and molested by those animals. I hope she is able to recover and find peace.

    Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

    (0) | Report

  • runaway train just came back.

    Posted Aug-27-2009 By 

    (0) | Report

  • I'm so happy to hear she is alive.... But, she's one of the lucky ones that survive a kidnapping like that...

    Posted Nov-24-2011 By 

    (0) | Report

  • Stumbled across this today. I went to the ABC website for more info. First I was appalled that that paper clown Dianne Sawyer interviewed her. Second when I tried to watch the interview they said it would be presented with limited commercials. Just the fact of putting commercials in a story lime this to make money off of tragedy is disgusting.enough. finding out that by limited commercials they meant 11 fucking commercials in a small interview disgusted me. And then when only the commercials pla More..

    Posted May-20-2012 By 

    (0) | Report