United Nations officials must investigate and clarify the dominant US role in the earthquake-ravaged Haiti, Bernard Kouchnet, the French minister said.
US forces last week turned back a French aid plane carrying a field hospital from the damaged, congested airport in the capital of Port-au-Prince, prompting a complaint from the French co-operation minister, Alain Joyandet. The plane landed safely the following day.
Mr Kouchner warned governments and aid groups not to squabble as they try to get their aid into Haiti.
"People always want it to be their plane ... that lands," Mr Kouchner said on Monday. "(But) what's important is the fate of the Haitians."
Mr Joyandet persisted: "This is about helping Haiti, not about occupying Haiti."
In another weekend incident, some 250 Americans were flown to New Jersey's McGuire Air Force Base on three military planes from Haiti. US forces initially blocked French and Canadians nationals from boarding the planes, but the cordon was lifted after protests from French and Canadian officials.
The US military controls the Port-au-Prince airport where only one runway is functioning and has been effectively running aid operations. However, the United Nations has stepped forward to take the lead in the critical task of co-ordinating aid.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Saturday that the US government had no intention of taking power from Haitian officials. "We are working to back them up, but not to supplant them," she said.
Mr Joyandet said he expects a UN decision on how governments should work together in Haiti.
"The U.N. is working on it," Mr Joyandet said, adding that he hopes "things will be clarified concerning the role of the United States."
On Monday 30 Americans were hurt Monday during a massive relief operation in the Haitian capital in what was described as a "mass casualty event," US officials said.
Meanwhile, the UN said that 46 of its personnel have now been confirmed dead and more than 500 are still missing.
The leading US general in Haiti has said it is a "reasonable assumption" that up to 200,000 people were killed in the earthquake last week.
Lt Gen Ken Keen said the disaster was of "epic proportions", but it was "too early to know" the full human cost
Click to view image: '7fa6f69173dd-ushaiti_1561411c.jpg'
|Liveleak on Facebook|