Cell Phone Video - McKinney Texas Shooting

A man is dead after driving a truck loaded with ammunition and bomb-making materials into the parking lot of the McKinney Public Safety Building early Tuesday morning, setting the truck on fire and exchanging gunfire with police, investigators said.

The incident began at about 9 a.m. and, according to McKinney Chief of Police Doug Kowalski, was over in about five minutes.

The man, 29-year-old Patrick Gray Sharp, of rural Anna, is believed to have set fire to the truck as a diversion in an attempt to draw people outside from within the municipal building. After setting fire to the truck, Sharp retreated to makeshift sniper's nest in a nearby treeline.

From there, police can only speculate that Sharp intended to draw innocent people into the line of fire where he hoped the trailer would explode. The trailer, filled with fuel-soaked woodchips, road flares, gasoline and ammonium nitrate, failed to ignite.

McKinney officers closed in quickly on Sharp and a short exchange of gunfire took place. As officers were able to get closer, Sharp was found dead. It is not yet known if he took his own life or if he died in the exchange of gunfire with McKinney officers.

Sharp was found to be heavily armed, carrying a .223 assault rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun and a .45 semiautomatic pistol.

Before the attack came to an end, police said Sharp managed to fire off more than 100 rounds at the municipal building, shattering nearly two dozen windows and leaving bullet marks all over the brick facade.

With so many rounds fired at the building, McKinney Mayor Brian Loughmiller and Kowalski both credited the safety features incorporated into the 2006 design for potentially saving lives.

Kowalski said investigators have determined the who, what, where, when and how in regard to the attack, but are at a loss as to why the incident took place. Sharp had no criminal record and investigators could find no discord between himself, the city of McKinney, the police department or the nearby college where he was formerly a student.

"He had a plan, he was activating his plan," Kowalski said. "He looked like he knew what he wanted to do ... it's unprecedented ... I really think that this was a clear-cut case of suicide by cop."

Investigators obtained a search warrant for Sharp's residence and found more weapons. He had a roommate, who is out of town and was shocked to hear about his roommate's actions, according to Kowalski.

Kowalski said there are currently no other suspects in connection with the incident, but added that "It's a long established strategy in police work that when you have one, assume there's two. So we're going to continue looking until we prove otherwise. At this point in time we have no reason to suspect there is any type of conspiracy, but we are going to continue looking until we verify that one way or the other."

The investigation into the incident is ongoing and involves the McKinney Police Department, the Collin County Sheriff's Department, The Texas Department of Public Safety, The Texas Rangers, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Collin College Police Department.

As It Developed Tuesday Morning

At about 9:45 a.m., reports began coming in indicating the Collin College Central Park Campus in McKinney was placed on lockdown. Shortly before that, reports were received of shots fired at the McKinney Public Safety Building. The buildings are located about a half mile apart.

A teletype dispatch sent to NBCDFW from the Dallas Police Department, originally sent from Enrique Guzman with the McKinney Police Department, said the following: "Our Police Department was just under fire. Suspects possibly set truck on fire to draw people out of building. Used semi auto rifle to shoot out front of building. 1 suspect down possible 2nd suspect unaccounted for. No Further Info. McKinney PD...09:39 A.M."

McKinney Dep. Chief Scott Brewer said a truck with a trailer pulled up to the municipal building just after 9 a.m. and was soon after engulfed in flames. The driver began shouting something toward the municipal building and then began firing a weapon.

McKinney police began setting up a perimeter to find the gunman. A small exchange of gunfire took place between officers and the gunman, who was found dead near a treeline. It is not yet known if the gunman died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or if he was killed by police.

Investigators have not released the identity of the gunman or speculated on what may have prompted the attack. There have been no reports of anyone injured in connection with the fire, explosions of ammunition or exchange of gunfire.

An e-mail alert, sent shortly after 9:30 a.m. Tuesday to students and staff of Collin College, warned that shots had been fired and that the central campus in McKinney was closed. The e-mail said: "Shots fired. Campus on lockdown. Cops on the scene. Details to follow." The campus website carried a message: "Shots fired at Central Park Campus." At this time, police have not confirmed if shots were fired at the campus.

The lockdowns were lifted at 11:10 a.m. Also at that time, the scene was changed from an active scene to a crime scene.
- video encodings still in process -