By clicking on CONTINUE you confirm that you are 18 years and over.
Note: to turn off these warnings you need to set the 'safe mode' to OFF (on the top right)
14 Tortured by "Tornado" battalion - Anatoly Sharii interview [ENG voiceover] + article on the nature of UA "terr-battalions". #TZ
This video should not be considered separately. Rather, it perfectly matches the information that the so-called "pro-Russians" knew all along, and the "free" Western and Ukrainian media are belatedly waking up to a year later: "volunteer battalions" are little more than death squads.
This video about "Tornado" (formerly "Shakhtersk") is certainly not a lie - recently, the Military Prosecutor General of Ukraine read even more shocking descriptions of torture, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2i72_9JCqM <<video translation coming>>.
And torture and lawlessness certainly are the norm, rather than an exception:
- "Aidar" was disbanded and many members http://russia-insider.com/en/society/breaking-news-life-imprisonment-threatens-melnychuk-klyuyev-more-10-years/ri6839 (officially - for banditry, unofficially - for acting as Kolomoyski's muscle in his struggle for Ukrainian ethanol production monopoly against Poroshenko-controlled Prosecutor General's office). It is worth noting that the famous Ukrainian "martyr" Savchenko, jailed in Russia on accusations of killing two Russian journalists, was part of this unit and is implicated by multiple witnesses as personally torturing prisoners.
- "Azov" had multiple members jailed for gordonua.com/news/separatism/Eks-rukovoditel-batalona-Azov-B, http://off-guardian.org/2015/05/07/ukrainian-neo-nazis-arrested-following-robbery-murder/comment-page-1/, etc. on a number of occasions. American and Canadian government https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion providing aid to this battalion, citing its Neo-Nazi nature
<<also see articles: www.liveleak.com/view?i=8e1_1435027655 , www.liveleak.com/view?i=405_1433313000 >>
- “Donbass” battalion - a lot of soldiers were filmed talking about their commander www.liveleak.com/view?i=c00_1410577186, ordering them to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWJObhLbdX0, etc.
- DUK PS (“Pravyi Sector” battalion) - multiple stories, even in https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2014/09/ukraine-must-. A story that recently caused quite a stir due to www.liveleak.com/view?i=f6a_1433969851: already during the truce, they attacked, captured a young militiaman, and cut the POW's fingers off before the exchange (they tried to claim he lost them in battle, but in video of his capture he still has them, plus his own statements and statements of a DUK PS member that his fingers were indeed cut off)
- The same is true for lesser known battalions - "Kiev-2" members were behind the www.unian.net/politics/1090879-v-ubiystve-buzinyi-podozrevay and activist Kalashnikov, a lot of “Artemovsk” battalion members werehttp://news.bigmir.net/ukraine/899748-Batal-on-Artemovsk-reorganizovali--vygnali--sluchajnyh--ljudej and ex-members talked of mozaika.dn.ua/news/38545-batalon-artemovsk-obvinyayut-v-vymo and torture conducted there, etc.
etc. up to www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/UA/10thOHCHRreportUkraine.
In short, it’s not “a few bad apples” - by now, _all_ the big pro-government paramilitaries have been implicated in various combinations of pillaging, torture, rape, and murder.
One may also think that these battalions finally being exposed or even brought to justice means the legal system works, but none of the ones exposed/brought to justice were punished _because_ of their crimes.
All the stuff reported by witnesses, various media (orientalreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Second-report-), even https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2014/09/ukraine-must-, HRW, by www.ohchr.org/Documents/Countries/UA/10thOHCHRreportUkraine.- all of that was ignored for a year, and then used as an excuse to
destroy those who interfered with the government stealing.
Aidar was prosecuted only when they news.rin.ru/eng/news/79094/ ru.tsn.ua/ukrayina/boycy-aydara-vzyali-na-sebya-otvetstvenno.
“Tornado” only got prosecuted a year after events in the first video, when they interfered with metal/lumber smuggling schemes. The “Donbass” videos were only released when their commander was getting elected into Parliament (soldiers were clamoring beforehand, but this is when their reports made it to the big screen).
BTW, he did make it into parliament. Same as Right Sector representatives, Aidar and Azov commanders (the latter - after the head of local electoral commission http://vesti-ukr.com/strana/74960-kak-ukraincy-v-raznyh-regionah-golosovali-za-novuju-raduand heavily armed thugs were seen by the polling station).
That is all you need to know about the “legality” of the new government, by the way.
Virtually all parties have various war criminals in them (with the exception of “Opposition Bloc”, which is formed from ex-Yanukovich Quislings in order to give the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_parliamentary_electi still believing in voting a illusion of choice). These are the people making new “laws” after the democratic government was overthrown.
It would also be a mistake to think that “regular” State Security/police act any different - multiple accounts suggest they do not:
a) American citizen tortured by Ukrainian State Security <www.liveleak.com/view?i=bd4_1433956858&gt; <www.liveleak.com/view?i=b05_1433980709&gt;
b) Russian journalist/student spent months in State Security prison:
c) Nurse recounts her experience in prison (second part of slavyangrad.org/2015/06/19/run-from-here-run-while-you-are-s)
Etc, I won’t bother putting up dozen of links - read the reports from various organizations linked above.
Now, I do have to point out that this happens in most civil wars to some degree (re: Abu Ghraib, Gitmo, Chechnya, Yugoslavia, Indonesia, South America, etc.)
<also read more www.liveleak.com/view?i=8cc_1431883130 accompanying this (funny/WTF) video>
The reason Donbass defense forces engage in less torture/atrocities isn’t that because they are a different culture or something.
They are the same Ukrainian citizens that went to the same schools and had the same jobs.
Rather, it's because they're formed with different goals and work among a friendly population.
If Donnass paramilitaries were recruited to e.g. suppress popular discontent in L’vov on Yanukovich’s orders, I’d think the sort of people who would take that job would act pretty much the same as Poroshenko’s death squads.
But as we know, Yanukovich fled rather than start a civil war, and it was Donbass that was invaded by the usurpers. And the people who come to defend their hometowns, and operate among neighbors and friends do not - and can not - engage in the same sort of lawlessness.
In the first few months the disorganized and disconnected militias (i.e. people got their hands on weapons but no means of supporting themselves financially) did cause quite a few problems, but militias were also more interested in punishing lawlessness due to being more tightly connected
with the locals, and highly dependent on their support. There are many high-profile cases - Strelkov had to execute two of his own company commanders for kidnapping, Alexander “Batman” Bednov was reportedly killed during arrest for the same thing (although there, there is also evidence of a corruption struggle), several Commandants in LPR were arrested on similar charges, as well as lot of smaller incidents.
Another reason why militias do not have anywhere as many prisoners as State Security/UAF do is that they simply have a lot less population to deal with, and often had nowhere to keep prisoners nor any extra food, so anyone captured was quickly exchanged with the government forces for
So what can we conclude from this overwhelming body of evidence?
The same thing we knew already - the “progressive” Kiev government is little more than a South-America style dictatorship, complete with death squads; by now this acknowledged not only by pro-democracy forces, but even www.liveleak.com/view?i=24d_1433837773. Much worse than the “corrupt”
people they replaced - from both economic and human rights perspective.
Maybe the Western media will wake up to it someday, too.
Kiev usurpers vs ISIS: Which is which? https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/26/midst-war-ukra?