1st 10 pages of police report & murder timeline

~Executive Summary~
~Police had sufficient evidence from the get go to know that they had probably arrested the wrong person. Fear of public backlash convinced them to follow through and send an innocent person to prison. It has been established that the victim had DNA from several people under her nails, and that she had microscopic skin cell DNA from the accused under her nails well before the crime. The police were aware of that yet refused to identify all of the people whose DNA was found. Instead they ~lost~ evidence that did not implicate Mr. Met and simply avoided any investigation. See the previous posts on this channel for more detail. Even now, with the confession and other info made public, not one of the law enforcement officers involved is willing to do the right thing.~

A timeline of the murder, adapted from the timeline at www.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/57394550-219/met-hser-moo-ner.

March 30, 2008

• Esar Met's uncle calls and arranges for him to visit the next day and fix a bicycle.

note: At least one other person in the apartment complex knows Esar is going to be gone. His roommates are openly unfriendly with him due to ethnic issues.

March 31, 2008

• 1:30 to 2 p.m.: Hser Ner Moo last seen by her family.

• 2:39 p.m.: The latest Esar Met could had left his South Salt Lake
apartment to catch a bus to Cottonwood Heights, where he stayed the
night at the home of his aunt and uncle.note: He was not seen in the apartment complex after 1pm and it is likely he left at least an hour before the victim disappeared.

• 3:30 to 4 p.m.: Esar Met arrives at his aunt and uncle's home.

• 4 p.m. One of the 4 roommates arrives home from work early. The other 3 would arrive over the next hour or so. Despite knowing that one of the roommates had returned to the apartment no later than 4 p.m., the police assured the public that all of the roommates had returned some time later. This is one of several bits of inaccurate information the police released to try to point suspicion away from the roommates and towards the person they had hastily arrested.

• 5:30 p.m. The earliest the victim could have died, according to the medical examiner. She died probably within minutes of the attack, an certainly within an hour according to medical experts.

• 6:30 to 7 p.m.: Hser Ner Moo's father, Cartoon Wah, knocks on the
door of Esar Met's apartment; Met's four roommates said they hadn't seen
the girl.
• Evening: Hundreds of volunteers scour the area looking for the 7-year-old girl.

• During three searches over the next 24 hours, every one of the dozens of apartments in the complex is searched, except the apartment where the roommates are. "Officers testified ... that they had tried to make contact with
the residents of that apartment, but got no response, despite knocking,
calling into the home and shining flashlights through the windows."

April 1, 2008:

• 11:30 a.m. The latest the victim could have died, according to the medical examiner.

• 7 p.m.: Hser Ner Moo's body found in Esar Met's basement apartment.

• Five people, the four roommates and another man, are arrested. The other man claimed that he was not in the apartment when the body was found, but snuck through the crime scene perimeter after it was secured, to study English with one of the roommates. This is unlikely, as there was a 2 minute window between the first phone call from an FBI agent saying blood had been spotted in the apartment, and the second call when the same FBI agent said a body was found. Witnesses said they saw several officers running toward the apartment at that time and putting down crime scene tape and physically closing the scene.

• Despite being found in the apartment with a dead body, and despite being the only people in the entire complex who did not respond to searchers, these five people are given very soft interviews in which they claim their Muslim roommate must be the killer. Their stories have serious flaws, which the police ignore.

• 10 p.m.: Esar Met arrested at his aunt and uncle's home. He is given a very hostile interrogation which can be viewed on this channel.

• The Salt Lake detective who was assisting the FBI agent in the interrogation would later discount the interview to another officer as "somewhat of a confession". In court he would testify that the translator was not translating the conversation accurately. The net effect of this court proceeding was to remove the confession from scrutiny during a trial, while leaving it in the media as a "fact" of the case. In other words people would know Met had confessed but the confession itself would remain secret so it could not be studied.—

• January, 2014: Esar Met is found guilty and later sentenced to life without parole.


Met obviously has no money, and he speaks no English, so he has no recourse. Very few lawyers want to be known for defending someone accused of this kind of crime, even if he is innocent. Even fewer lawyers want to be remembered for having freed a person accused of this sort of crime, even if the accused is innocent.

Many law enforcement officers in Salt Lake City, including FBI agents, are aware of the problems in this case, including malfeasance by their colleagues. And yet not one, not a single one, has stepped forward in defense of the likely innocent person they helped send to prison.

Again. Despite abundant evidence of numerous problems in the case against Esar Met, not one single person in the justice system has stepped up to encourage a review of the case.

Not a single one.