CHICAGO BEATING:"code of silence" Keeps Police From Making More Arrests

The Chicago Police Supt.also criticized teens who witnessed the beating last Thursday and did not call police.
The White House says cell phone video showing the fatal beating of a 16-year-old honor student in Chicago is "chilling" and came up at President Barack Obama's morning meeting in the Oval Office.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs on Wednesday said the video of teens viciously kicking and striking another teen with splintered railroad ties is among the most shocking anyone can see. He told reporters they should expect an announcement on an administration response to the "heinous crime" soon.

Gibbs says, though, that government cannot regulate what's in people's hearts. He says the White House believes such crimes call for community involvement.

Prosecutors in Chicago have charged four teenagers with fatally beating Derrion Albert, a sophomore honor roll student. Officials say Albert was walking to a bus stop when he got caught up in the mob's street fighting.

On Tuesday, Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis said authorities believe at least three other teens also punched or kicked the boy.

Weis called on the community to step up and tell police what they know. "Few have come forward," he told a news conference. "We must do better."

Weis decried the "code of silence" that he said was keeping police from making more arrests. Without more cooperation, he said, there will be "more violence...and unfortunately more funerals."

He also criticized teens who witnessed the beating last Thursday and did not call police. Weis said the 911 center did not get a call about Albert until after he was brought into a nearby community center.

"You got kids with cell phones but no one called," Weis said. "It's sad more people didn't call earlier."

Weis was asked if Mayor Daley was worried how the beating will affect the city's chances at landing the 2016 Summer Olympic.

"It's not about the Olympics, it's about a young man who died. He was 16 years old," Weis said, adding the mayor was "saddened that this code of silence remains in effect."

Weis also was asked about reports that a squad car was in the area but did nothing to stop the fight.

Weis said the department was investigating when the car arrived, but said the officers "called within seconds after arriving on the scene asking for additional help." Weis said he had no other details.

Liveleak on Facebook