Santa Fe City Police refuse to participate in the murder of Women fleeing State Police

Update Video link
Dispatch audio reveals details of high-speed chaseAn audio recording of the conversation between a Santa Fe police dispatcher and a dispatcher for the New Mexico State Police on the night a 39-year-old Santa Fe woman was shot and killed in her car after a high-speed chase shows that state police never provided a reason for the pursuit to the dispatch center.

Because of that, they never got the backup they requested from city police.

The audio recorded early on Nov. 7 between the city dispatcher, Amanda Macias, and an unidentified state police dispatcher was released by the Santa Fe Regional Emergency Communications Center on Monday.

Referring to the police commanders, Macias tells the state police dispatcher, “They are going to need a reason for pursuit or they are not going to continue.”

In the background a male voice says, “Did you get a reason for the pursuit?”

“OK, I’m trying to get it,” the dispatcher replies to Macias. “What’s the reason for the pursuit?” he asks.

Oliver Wilson, the officer chasing the woman, doesn’t respond. The dispatcher waits, then states: “Shots fired, shots fired.” That announcement comes about 4 minutes after the state police request for backup and 21 seconds after the crash, the recording shows.

State police say the driver was backing toward Wilson when he began firing.

According to the New Mexico State Police high-speed pursuit policy, the officer leading the pursuit has to give a reason for the chase to the dispatcher.

Tom Clark, the lawyer for the family of Jeanette Anaya, who was shot and killed by Wilson after the deadly pursuit came to an end on Camino Carlos Rey near Las Casitas, said the dispatch logs and the audio helps prove his point that Wilson was unjustified in initiating the pursuit and shooting his gun.

“What this dispatch log does is gives us real solid evidence of what actually transpired on this evening,” Clark said.

State police are still investigating the incident and have not yet released either the initial report of entry or the patrol car’s dash-cam video.

The Nov. 7 incident is one of four in the past month in which state police have used deadly force. Two of those incidents are still being investigated, including a Oct. 28 case in which a state police officer shot at a minivan loaded with five children near Taos.

According to the audio recording, Macias attempted at least twice to find out why state police were pursuing Anaya. The state police dispatcher also tried three times to find out why Wilson had initiated the pursuit.

According to the dispatch logs, Lt. Andrea Dobyns was the shift commander at the time. The dispatch center notified her of the call for backup, but she is not heard on the audio recording.

Police initially said that Anaya’s car was going 87 miles per hour at one point through a residential area, but according to the audio recording, she was driving 75 miles per hour. While being pursued, Anaya turned left on Pacheco Street from St. Micheal’s Drive and then right onto Siringo Road.

State police have said that Wilson attempted to pull Anaya over at 1:14 a.m. on St. Francis Drive at Alta Vista Street because she was driving erratically. According to the city police dispatch logs, the pursuit started at 1:13 a.m. and lasted until 1:17 a.m. when shots were fired.

A 911 call by a woman who lived nearby told another dispatcher that she heard about eight shots.

The dispatch logs show that city police were nearby and waiting to respond. Minutes after state police fired into Anaya’s car, they arrived and administered first aid. Anaya was pronounced dead at the scene.

State police spokesman Lt. Emmanuel Gutierrez did not return a phone call seeking comment Monday evening.

A 34-year-old man was in the passenger seat, but police haven’t released his name because he isn’t facing any charges.

After the internal investigation is over, state police will forward the report to District Attorney Angela “Spence” Pacheco for review. She will then decide if the shooting should be presented to a grand jury.