Man chokes to death trying to eat mcdonalds cheese burger in one mouth full.

A man has died after he choked trying to eat a cheeseburger in one go, an inquest has heard.

Darren Bray, 29, stuffed the McDonald’s burger in his mouth at a friend’s house.

Mr Bray, from Treharne Road, Barry
, arrived at Amy Bernett’s home with a can of alcohol in his hand. The
pair sat on the sofa talking as they waited for Ms Bernett's partner Sam
Bisgrove to return home from a night out in Bristol. When Mr Bray arrived Ms Bernett said he seemed his “usual self”.

The
inquest heard how Mr Bisgrove had stopped in a McDonald’s restaurant on
his way home and had text Amy to ask if she or Darren wanted him to
bring anything home. In her statement, Ms Bernett said: “Sam text
me on his way home to say he was in McDonald’s. I had a McFlurry and
Darren asked for a cheeseburger.” She then described how, after
Mr Bisgrove returned home with the food, Mr Bray said “watch this” and
using two hands “rolled his burger up in a ball and pushed the full
burger into his mouth”. Chest compressions Her
statement said: “He started making horrible noises, like he was
choking, and his lips turned blue. I started to slap him on the back and
Sam phoned an ambulance. “When he was struggling he stumbled out the garden and leaned against the trampoline.”

The
inquest heard how Ms Bernett and Mr Bisgrove tried to put their fingers
down Darren’s throat to remove the burger and started doing chest
compressions until the ambulance arrived.

Geraint Huw Evans was one of the paramedics on the scene and
in a statement read out at the inquest he said he received a call at
around 12.52am on Sunday, October 11, to attend a call of a cardiac
arrest. In his statement, Mr Evans said that when he arrived he
saw a person lying on the ground next to a trampoline and another male
performing CPR on him. He described how a woman at the scene was also
“frantic and crying and asking ‘is he going to be OK?’” 8x5cm piece of food The
inquest heard how paramedics tried to remove food from Mr Bray’s mouth
using a suction device, performed CPR, chest compressions and gave him
four doses of adrenaline but a defibrillator showed no activity in the
heart. At 1.11am resuscitation attempts were ceased and Mr Bray was
pronounced dead.

Giving evidence, Dr Rhiannon Trefor, who carried out the
post-mortem, said a 8x5cm piece of food, called a food bolus, was found
stuck at the top of his neck, above his vocal chords. A small piece of
yellow matter, which "could be part of the cheeseburger" was also found
by his lungs. A toxicology exam was also undertaken to “make sure his judgement was not skewed by alcohol”.

'He would not have suffered' Dr Trefor reported the cause of death as “obstruction of the airways by a food bolus”.

When
asked if elevated levels of alcohol or cocaine could have contributed
to his death, Dr Trefor said: “I think the most relevant information
comes from the witness statements. When he arrived at his friend's house
he was acting normally so I don’t think it would have affected his
judgement.” She also added that Mr Bray’s death would have been quick and he would not have suffered.

Assistant coroner Christopher Woolley recorded a verdict of misadventure.

Added:

By: anglosaxonwarlord (19509.64)

Tags: mcdonalds,cheese burger,death,barry island,south walers,undignified,did,not,involve,cocaine or alcohol,most undignified death ,darwin award winner,

Location: Barry, Vale of Glamorgan CF63 2HZ, UK