[CULTURAL ENRICHMENT DENIED] RCMP foil islamic terrorist attack. Terrorist dead. No other injuries.

CBC News has confirmed Aaron Driver, a suspect being sought in connection with a terror threat, has been killed in Strathroy, Ont.

A family member confirmed the death of the 24-year-old.

The RCMP were conducting an operation in a residential southwestern Ontario neighbourhood of Strathroy on Wednesday evening after it said credible information of a potential terrorist act was received earlier in the day.

"A suspect was identified and the proper course of action has been taken to ensure that there is no danger to the public's safety," according to an RCMP statement

"As this is still an unfolding matter and that the investigation is still underway, we are not able to provide further comment at this time," the RCMP said.



Driver, a known ISIS supporter, agreed to the conditions of a peace bond in a Winnipeg court earlier this year after being arrested in June 2015. By agreeing to the peace bond, Driver was "consenting or acknowledging that there are reasonable grounds to fear that he may participate, contribute — directly or indirectly — in the activity of a terrorist group."



Among the conditions of the peace bond was living at a specified address in Strathroy and notifying a specified RCMP sergeant of any changes in address.

Strathroy, home to about 20,000 people, is 40 kilometres west of London.

Driver caught the attention of CSIS, Canada's spy agency, in October 2014 when he was tweeting support for the militant group ISIS under the alias Harun Abdurahman.

He also said the Parliament Hill attack in October of that year by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was justified.

Ralph Goodale, minister of public safety and emergency preparedness, said in a statement Wednesday evening he had made Prime Minister Justin Trudeau aware of the situation and repeated that public safety is "protected."

Taking all relevant information into account, the national terrorism threat level for Canada remains at "medium" where it has stood since the fall of 2014, Goodale added.

The RCMP said there would be no immediate further comment.

The Mounties planned to hold a news conference on Thursday to provide details.

Ottawa was abuzz with rumours for much of Wednesday after a memo was circulated among National Defence personnel warning of a terrorist threat.

The internal government memo included a photo of a man wearing a balaclava.


добавленный:

от: Ham_Sandwich (1425.72)

теги: Terrorism, Canada, Muslim, Islam, ISIS, Dead

Местоположение : United States