Video Shows Man Tased By NCPD Five Times In Less Than 60 Seconds

Nearly a year after the death of a 61-year-old man who was tased five times in less than a minute by a National City police officer, the department has released officer-worn camera footage of the arrest incident.

The San Diego County District Attorney's office confirms it has been investigating the death for nearly ten months.

Family members for the father of three are calling on National City to take action to prevent anything similar from happening again.

NBC 7 Investigates obtained police body cam footage of the September 29, 2019, incident that took place in the early morning hours on East 8th Street in National City.

Police had been called to the scene by several residents who saw Tony Wilson banging on the front door of a home. The callers, according to police reports obtained by NBC 7, told police that Wilson appeared distraught and was acting erratically.

“He is breaking everything in front of the door,” said one 911 caller. When asked if Wilson had any weapons, the caller said, “No, it doesn’t look like it. He’s definitely on something.”

Upon their arrival, police officer Jonathon Taylor approached Wilson with his gun drawn. Wilson, according to the footage as well as police reports taken, raised his hands immediately and pleaded to the officers repeatedly, “Don’t shoot, don’t shoot,” while getting down on his hands and knees.

However, according to officer accounts of the altercation, although Wilson obeyed commands to get on his hands and knees, he refused immediate commands to place his hands behind his back.

In response, Officer Taylor discharged his taser. The first discharge of Taylor’s Taser came only moments after Wilson was on his hands and knees.

When the taser appeared to not have an effect on Wilson, Taylor discharged it four additional times to Wilson’s shoulder, lower body, and arms.

Minutes later officers noted Wilson was unresponsive, the reports say. They performed CPR, and Wilson was transported to a hospital where he was placed on life support and died days later.

A department-required report on Taylor’s Taser, obtained by NBC 7, shows Taylor pushed the trigger on his department-issued Taser on five occasions at 12:08 am on September 29, followed by another discharge five seconds later, and another 13 seconds later, followed by a fourth 5 seconds after, and the last Taser “event” occurred 15 seconds after that.


By: ThisIsButter (44151.30)

Tags: Man Tased multiple times by NCPD