One of Beijing's most photogenic buildings went up in flames on Monday night. According to Chinese news agency Xinhua, the blaze was started by a firework let off in the adjacent building - Chinese TV station CCTV.
Zhang, an Observer for France 24 in China, says that, while internet sites in the country are reporting it, television channels are choosing to omit the catastrophe, which has destroyed one of the city's Olympic landmarks and killed one firefighter. The building which now lies smouldering was the 159-metre tall Mandarin Oriental, used for the games and set to open to the general public this summer. Xinhua quotes investigators who say that the fire was started by a firework set off in the next-door CCTV building as part of Lunar New Year celebrations.
|Liveleak on Facebook|