Nancy Grant was sentenced to $30,500 fine and 15 years' probation for practicing law without a license, after distributing standard forms of Emergency Motion to Dismiss for lack of prosecution. With 5 percent of the world's population, the US holds 25 percent of the world's prisoners' population, often in for-profit facilities, operated by large corporations.
The case of Nancy Grant, DeSoto County, Florida
Florida grandmother Nancy Grant distributed Emergency Motion forms and encouraged DeSoto County Florida jail prisoners to use the forms to pressure the court to set them free.
For distributing the motion to prisoners who had sat locked up for upwards of 5 years without a single hearing, a couple of lawyers wrote a UPL (unauthorized practice of law) complaint against her. Ultimately, Chief Judge Richard Haworth of the 12th Circuit Court convicted Nancy Grant on 19 counts of UPL.
Nancy Grant was sentenced to $30,500 fine and 15 years' probation.
She couldn't pay the fine, so the state took away her driver license. She lost her appeal.
She gets around on a bicycle these days, tends her herd of 50 cattle on her small Arcadia ranch, and still smiles a lot.
In most states ANYONE can file a habeas corpus petition without fearing accusation for UPL.
The court has the obligation to construe a document in its proper best light, particularly when filed by a non-attorney. Thus, the judge should have construed Nancy's motion forms as habeas corpus forms, but obviously the court did not do that.
(From Bob Hurt My Blog Email)
The offending Emergency Motion to Dismiss
IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE _____ JUDICIAL CIRCUIT,
IN AND FOR ______________ COUNTY, FLORIDA
Vs. Case No.:(s)__________
STATE OF FLORIDA
EMERGENCY MOTION TO DISMISS
Defendant, Pro-se, pursuant to Florida Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 1.420 (e); and Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure Rule3.191 (D)(3), moves this Court to dismiss the instant case and to discharge Defendant from any further prosecution or custody in instant case. Defendant presents the following for review in support of the action:
1. Defendant was arrested on: ______________________________________________.
2. Defendant was charged with: ____________________________________________.
3. The Government has imprisoned Defendant within the County Jail for approximately __________ days since the date of ____________________________ (day, month, year).
4. Defendant has obtained the effective assistance of legal counsel, as constitutionally guaranteed, in the form of: £ a court-appointed Public Defender; £ a special appointed attorney; £a private attorney; £ no one (Defendant has checked the appropriate box).
5. Defendant has the absolute constitutional right to speedy trial without demand within the Time Frame of 175 days after a felony arrest and 90 days after a misdemeanor arrest.
6. The Government failed to initiate the trial within said Time Frame.
7. The failure to prosecute resulted from a Government-caused, unusual, and insufficiently justified Delay between arrest and trial.
8. Said Delay seriously injured and prejudiced the Defendant by violating the Defendant’s constitutionally guaranteed rights to due process and speedy trial.
Read the complete Emergency Motion To Dismiss, linked below. [i]
Deprivation of liberty with no due process is a commonplace abuse in the United States
Deprivation of liberty with no due process is commonplace abuse in the United States:
With 5% of the world’s population, the US holds 25% of the world’s prisoners’ population, [ii] often in for-profit facilities, operated by large corporations..
Judges in Pennsylvania were recently convicted for racketeering: taking millions in bribes from prison owners, and falsely imprisoning thousands of juveniles (Kids for Cash scandal 2008-present). [iii]
An estimated 10,000 People, or more, are falsely imprisoned in Los Angeles County, California - the Rampart FIPs (Falsely Imprisoned Persons). They are almost exclusively black and Latinos, and are victims of one of the largest court corruption cases in the US history (Rampart scandal 1998-present). The judges oppose the release of the victims, since it would cause "collapse of the justice system". The US government refuses to take action. [iv]
Corruption of the courts has reached the level of a constitutional crisis
Corruption of the courts in the United States has reached the level of a constitutional crisis, the like of which has not been seen since the Civil War. The People are deprived of life, liberty, and property, with no due process of law. [v]
Joseph Zernik, PhD
Human Rights Alert (NGO)
Dr Zernik has gained substantial experience in recent years in analyzing fraud in the electronic records of the state and US courts. His opinions on these matters were supported by official report of the UN Human Rights Council, by the opinions of highly-reputed law enforcement and computer science experts, and by peer-review in international computer and criminology journals and conferences. Submission he authored on behalf of Human Rights Alert (NGO) for the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of Human Rights in the United States by the Human Rights Council of the United Nations was incorporated into the official 2010 UPR report with reference to “corruption of the courts and the legal profession…” [vi]
[i] 11-06-28 Grandma Punished for Helping Florida Prisoners, Locked Up to 5 Years Without a Single Hearing
[ii] 10-06-10 With 5 Percent of the Worlds Population US Holds 25 Percent of Prisoners
[iii] 11-02-18 Pennsylvania Judge Guilty Of Racketeering In Kickback Case (Kids for Cash Scandal)
[iv] 09-12-17-Rampart-FIPs (Falsely Imprisoned Persons) - Review
[v] 11-06-14 Corruption of the Courts and Failing Banking Regulation in the United States: Dred Scott redux?
[vi]11-05-08 Joseph Zernik,PhD, Biographical Sketch
Human Rights Alert (NGO)
Human Rights Alert is dedicated to discovering, archiving, and disseminating evidence of Human Rights violations by the justice systems of the State of California and the United States in Los Angeles County, California, and beyond. Human Rights Alert focuses on the unique role of computerized case management systems in the precipitous deterioration of the integrity of the justice system in the United States.
Locations of visitors to this page
Flag Counter: 119
Total Reads: 475,060
Total Item Views: 393,338
WHAT DID THE EXPERT SAY ABOUT THE CURRENT FINANCIAL CRISIS?
* Foreclosure fraud: The homeowner nightmares continue
CNN (April 7, 2011)
* About 3 million homes have been repossessed since the housing boom ended in 2006… That number could balloon to about 6 million by 2013
Bloomberg (January 2011)
* "...a system in which only the little people have to obey the law, while the rich, and bankers especially, can cheat and defraud without consequences."
Prof Paul Krugman, MIT (2011)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY, CALIFORNIA?
* "...judges tried and sentenced a staggering number of people for crimes they did not commit."
Prof David Burcham, Dean, Loyola Law School, LA (2001)
* "This is conduct associated with the most repressive dictators and police states... and judges must share responsibility when innocent people are convicted."
Prof Erwin Chemerinsky, Dean, Irvine Law School (2001)
* "Innocent people remain in prison"
* "...the LA Superior Court and the DA office, the two other parts of the justice system that the Blue Panel Report recommends must be investigated relative to the integrity of the system, have not produced any response that we know of..."
LAPD Blue Ribbon Review Panel Report (2006)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IN CALIFORNIA?
* "...corruption of the courts and the legal profession and discrimination by law enforcement in California."
United Nations Human Rights Council Staff Report (2010)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE STATE COURTS IN THE UNITED STATES?
* "On July 26, 2010, Laurence Tribe, Senior Counsel for the United States Department of Justice, Access to Justice Initiative, delivered an important speech to the Conference of Chief Justices, challenging them to halt the disintegration of our state justice systems before they become indistinguishable from courts of third world nations."
Prof Laurence Tribe, Harvard Law School (2010), per National Defender Leadership Institute (2010)
WHAT DID THE EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES?
* "More than 100 law professors have signed on to a letter released today that proposes congressional hearings and legislation aimed at fashioning "mandatory and enforceable" ethics rules for Supreme Court justices for the first time. The effort, coordinated by the liberal Alliance for Justice, was triggered by "recent media reports," the letter said, apparently referring to stories of meetings and other potential conflicts of interest involving Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas among others."
More than 100 law professors, as reported by the Blog of the Legal Times (February 2011)
WHAT DID CHIEF JUDGE OF THE US COURT OF APPEALS, 5TH CIRCUIT, SAY ABOUT THE US JUSTICE SYSTEM?
* "The American legal system has been corrupted almost beyond recognition..."
Chief Judge, US Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, Edith Jones, speaking before the Federalist Society of Harvard Law School (February 2003)
WHAT DID THE CHAIR OF THE SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE SAY ABOUT THE US JUSTICE SYSTEM?
* In a speech in Georgetown University, Senator Leahy, Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee called for a "Truth and Reconciliation Commission" on the US Department of Justice.
Transcript of Senator Leahy speech (2009)
In: World News, Politics, LiveLeaks, Citizen Journalism
Tags: Judicial Corruption, False Imprisonment, Liberty, Florida
Location: Florida, United States (load item map)
Marked as: approved
Views: 6480 | Comments: 22 | Votes: 1 | Favorites: 0 | Shared: 1 | Updates: 0 | Times used in channels: 4
|Liveleak on Facebook|