Safe Mode: On
NSW Riot Police Takedown Suspected Bomber - Raw Footage 

A two hour long siege has come to an end after police rushed to arrest a man parked outside the NSW Parliament House reportedly making bomb threats.

The Parliament had been in lockdown as police negotiated with the man on Macquarie Street in Sydney's central business district.

He had driven a white car containing what police believe to be containers of flammable liquid up onto a footpath and demanded that Premier Barry O'Farrell leave the building. He had made threats to use a lighter to set fire to himself.

The standoff had lasted around two hours when police stormed the car, smashing its windows and injecting a gas canister before pulling the man out.

The man, who police say was known to them, was wrestled to the ground before being quickly moved away from the car. Police were seen removing a fuel can containing a liquid from the passenger side of the car shortly after they smashed the windows.

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Murdoch told reporters after the standoff that the driver is a 58-year-old man from Wollongong.

"When that man attempted to light a cigarette lighter, wind the windows of the cars up, with what we believe to be a container of flammable liquid in the vehicle, those officers put their lives on the line this afternoon and they resolved the situation in a peaceful manner," he said.

Police say they received a report around 11:40am (AEDT) that a man in a car was acting suspiciously outside Parliament. "Negotiations commenced with the person in the car in an attempt to have him get out of the vehicle," Assistant Commissioner Murdoch said.

"Those negotiations continued until 2:00pm at which point the man attempted to ignite a cigarette lighter."

Police say the man suffered minor cuts during the police operation and is now receiving medical treatment.

An announcement in Parliament House just before 12:00pm AEDT informed all people present not to use the front entrance, and to immediately leave via the rear of the building.

A Riot Squad van was outside Parliament and police had donned protective shields and gear.

The fire brigade were also called to the scene and the street was blocked off. A high-powered water hose was brought in close to the car.

Raw footage:

Loading the player ...
Embed CodeSwitch Player
Plays: 37347 (Embed: 30)

Tv report:
Loading the player ...
Embed CodeSwitch Player
Plays: 5155 (Embed: 4249)

Added: Dec-19-2013 Occurred On: Dec-19-2013
By: Aussie
Regional News
Tags: NSW, Riot, Police, Takedown, Suspected, Bomber, -, Raw, Footage
Location: New South Wales, Australia (load item map)
Marked as: featured
Views: 60631 | Comments: 408 | Votes: 24 | Favorites: 13 | Shared: 0 | Updates: 0 | Times used in channels: 3
You need to be registered in order to add comments! Register HERE