Safe Mode: On
NATO apologizes after U.S. soldier opens fire on Afghan civilians
 Part of channel(s): Afghanistan (current event)

A US soldier in Afghanistan has killed 10 civilians and wounded five in Kandahar province after suffering a breakdown, officials say.

He left his military base in the early hours of the morning and opened fire after entering local homes, the BBC's Quentin Sommerville reports from Kabul.

Nato said it was investigating the "deeply regrettable incident".

Anti-US sentiment is already high in Afghanistan after US soldiers burnt copies of the Koran last month.

US officials apologised, but the incident sparked a series of protests and attacks that killed at least 30 people and six US troops.

Local people have reportedly gathered near the base in Panjwai district to protest Sunday's killings, and the US embassy is advising against travel to the area.

The soldier, who has not been named, is said to have suffered a nervous breakdown.

He walked off his base at around 03:00 loca


Added: Mar-11-2012 
By: TalkingMonkey
World News, Afghanistan
Tags: war, crime
Views: 11976 | Comments: 318 | Votes: 1 | Favorites: 3 | Shared: 1 | Updates: 0 | Times used in channels: 3
You need to be registered in order to add comments! Register HERE