Israeli warplanes have been carrying out intensive overflights over southwestern Lebanon, following a brief missile attack near the border.
The overflights followed rocket four attacks on northern Israel, which Te Aviv responded by launching five missiles at southern Lebanon on Thursday morning.
The Lebanese army has started a comprehensive search in the area where the Katyusha rockets were fired from, while the UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon, UNIFIL, intensified patrols in the south.
Schools in southern Lebanese towns bordering Israel were closed on Thursday out of fear of aerial Israeli attacks.
Four rockets were launched from southern Lebanon on northern Israeli towns of Nahariya and Galeli, wounding four Israelis, Press TV's Beirut correspondent, Ali Rizk, reported.
Following the firing, the Israeli army fired five rockets on Hamra, al- Jiben, and Tayr Harfa towns in southern Lebanon, from where the rockets were believed to have been launched. However they landed on desert areas causing no damage or casualties.
Lebanon's Hezbollah said that it was not responsible for the firing of rockets at Israel. In addition, Tel Aviv ruled out the involvement of Hezbollah in the incident, saying the rockets were of an outdated model that Hezbollah had not used for years, al-Jazeera reported.
The Islamic Hamas movement has also denied the reports that it was behind the shelling. "We cannot blame any Palestinian faction and we don't know who fired the rockets," said Hamas spokesman in Lebanon, Raafat Morra.
No group has claimed responsibility for the rocket attacks so far.
Click to view image: '5f1e6aa7273d-israeliplanes.jpg'
|Liveleak on Facebook|