Damascus, 27 Oct. (AKI) - Syria has condemned an alleged US raid that killed at least eight people in the country's east near the border with Iraq at the weekend.
Damascus summoned US and Iraqi envoys to condemn what it called an "aggressive act".
The US has neither confirmed nor denied the incident. It has previously accused Syria of allowing militants to enter Iraq.
Syria announced that four US helicopters assaulted the al-Sukkari farm in the Bou Kamal area in eastern Syria on Sunday and that American soldiers had stormed a building in the area.
According to the SANA, Syria's official state news agency, Daoud Mohammad al-Abdullah and his four sons were among those killed in the attack.
"Syria, which condemns this aggressive act, holds the US forces responsible for this aggression and its repercussions," SANA said on its website.
Syria also called on the Iraqi government "to assume its responsibilities" and conduct an immediate investigation into this "dangerous violation" and prevent the US from using Iraq to launch attacks on Syria.
Syria's Deputy Foreign Minister, Farouq al-Sharaa, had summoned the US charge d'affaires from the US embassy (photo) and the Iraqi charge d'affaires in Damascus, to inform them of Syria's "condemnation" and lodge an official complaint.
Damascus holds the US administration fully responsible for what happened.
"This is an outrageous crime and an act of aggression, of course," Syria's press attache at its embassy in London, Jihad Makdissi, told the BBC.
"If they (the United States) have any proof of any insurgency, instead of applying the law of the jungle and penetrating, unprovoked, a sovereign country, they should come to the Syrians first and share this information," Makdissi said.
He warned that Syria would "respond accordingly in the proper way".
The government newspaper Tishrin called the act a "war crime".
Click to view image: '243529-us20embassy20in20Damascus200x1501.jpg'
|Liveleak on Facebook|